Join us on Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 8:00 am for our 2nd Annual Matchett/Walker 5K Sprint & Stroll in Memory of Mrs. Georgie E. Matchett and Mrs. Angernette L. Walker.
Proceeds to benefit educational and philanthropic endeavors of PANEL, Incorporated in collaboration with Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Xi Beta Omega Chapter.
- Race Location: Wyomia Tyus Olympic Park, 1301 Cowan Road, Griffin, GA 30223
Click here to download the Matchett Walker Walk Run Registration Form
Please submit your registration by October 20, 2018.
Virginia Union University was first put into operation shortly after April 3, 1865, the date when Richmond, Virginia was liberated by troops of the United States Army of the James. It was then that representatives from our founding organization, the American Baptist Home Mission Society, came to the former Confederate capital as teachers and missionaries. In that same month, eleven teachers were holding classes for former slaves at two missions in the city. By November 1865 the Mission Society had established, and was officially holding classes for, Richmond Theological School for Freedmen, one of the four institutions forming the “Union” that gives our University its name.
Dr. J G. Binney was the first teacher to some 25 freedmen from November 1865-July 1866 before giving up and leaving for Burma due to the challenges faced with Richmond, VA being the former capital of the Confederate States. However, on May 13, 1867, Dr. Nathaniel Colver an elderly, hard-bitten abolitionist who could not be intimidated by anyone, arrived to resume the task. Due to health issues, Dr.. Colver turned over his leadership to Dr. Charles Henry Corey in 1868. Dr. Corey served as a dynamic leader for 31 years.
In 1876, the school was incorporated by the Virginia General Assembly under the name Richmond Institute.The Institute was the first in the South to employ African-American teaching assistants and faculty and in 1876 was offering curricula which were preparatory (elementary); academic (pre-college) and theological. Enrollment grew steadily and among its earliest students Richmond Institute numbered it first foreign graduate, Samuel M. Harden of Lagos, Nigeria (1879) and its first female graduate, Maria E. Anderson (1882).
Richmond Institute turned strictly to theological studies and re- established itself as Richmond Theological Seminary in 1886, offering its first Bachelor’s degree, the Bachelor of Divinity. During the 1890’s plans were pushed forward to merge historically-black institutions into one University, and by 1899 it was agreed that Wayland Seminary and Richmond Theological Seminary would come together to form Virginia Union University.
Think HBCU is a national campaign by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. to highlight HBCUs and their contribution to the sorority and society. Through education, engagement and advocacy, HBCUs will be showcased as critical venue for moving students to and through college.To implement this initiative Xi Beta Omega’s Target I committee will highlight a HBCU monthly. This month’s #ThinkHBCU Spotlight is Albany State University in Albany, GA.
Albany State University is a historically black university in Albany, Georgia. It was founded in 1903 by Joseph Winthrop Holley, a native of South Carolina. This son of former slaves was inspired by the writings of W.E.B. DuBois to try to improve conditions for the South’s African American population by offering industrial and religious education. The first incarnation of the school was the Albany Bible and Manual Training Institute, and initially the school‘s goal was to offer primary and secondary education and to train teachers. In 1917, the school gained state funding and a board of trustees and was renamed the Georgia Normal and Agricultural College. Also in 1917 it began offering two year post-secondary degrees.
In 1932 the school gained affiliation with the Georgia University System and in 1943 the school’s name was again changed, this time to Albany State College. This name change marked the development of the school into a four year university. The same year Albany State College awarded its first baccalaureate degree. In 1996 the institution adopted its current name in recognition of the school’s autonomous graduate programs.
For more information on The Unsinkable Albany State University visit www.asurams.edu. Also join the ’08 campaign by donating $8 to your favorite HBCU. Sign-in to the Members Only section of www.aka1908.com, go to the ‘Online Store’ and select ‘Donation- HBCU 08 Campaign’ to donate a minimum of $8 to the HBCU of your choice!
Calling all High School Students in Spalding, Henry, Pike, Lamar, and Upson Counties to join A.S.C.E.N.D.
EAF Bracelet limited edition charm bracelet
35th Anniversary Pin
Purchase your Limited Edition 35th Anniversary Commemorative Pin.
Click Here +More New Items